Wednesday 28 March 2007

Behold! It's a cheese sandwich.


Here it is. The inaugural post of What's for lunch? I decided to keep it simple. Chiefly because it is the day before payday and this was all I could muster in my 8am rush to leave the house this morning.
The product
Wholemeal bread. Bega Super Slim "Less than 2g of fat per serve" cheese slice. Toasted in the work toaster.
The bread is a wholemeal variety bought from a local bakery in the Carlisle Street, Balaclava district. It has a dry tasteless finish, especially given the absence of butter. Certainly not bought from what I would call an 'artesian baker'.
Bega Super Slim is one of the better slimming cheeses. Available at all good supermarkets. A little tastier than the 'Kraft Free*' cheese, due to the addition of approximately 1.5g more of fat. The cheese has that 'stick to the roof of your mouth and burn it leaving little bits of skin falling away like flaky paint' consistency.
Note: There is no such thing as fat free cheese and low fat cheese is barely cheese.
The atmosphere
Fingers clicking on keyboards. The whir of the printer. Hustle and bustle (that bit was a lie). Yes, you guessed it. I am eating at my desk.
Service
Self serve. Quite a line at the sandwich maker but a little jostling and a few elbows and I was at the front of the queue. Lucky I am leaving here in a few weeks.
The verdict
Filled a hole. Only recommended as a last resort.
Next on What's for lunch?: Review of Punch Lane $30 set menu. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Myrna Minkoff said...

I like the grill marks left by the work toaster - gives it a look of cafe chic...